Sunday 15 March 2009

Prologue

Cycling is something I've always done. From the age of five, through school, university and then work I've always owned a bike and always ridden it regularly. Other sports, particularly Badminton and Cricket form the corner stones of my social life, but cycling is a largely solitary pursuit. I've never wanted to take part in races, so why cycle? There is a joy to moving fast (well fairly fast) under your own power. Also of getting out there in the countryside, in the fresh air and finding the roads you wouldn't otherwise travel. There's a book called 'The Escape Artist' by Matt Seaton who gives the best explanation I've read about why people cycle for recreation or sport. Other books I'd recommend are 'Rough Ride' by Paul Kimmage, an insight into the world of professional cycling and the constant presence of doping. Also of course 'It's Not About the Bike' by Lance Armstrong, the inspirational text for cyclists and survivors.

So why this trip? For a long time I've wondered whether it would be possible to cycle 100 miles per day over a period of more than one or two days. This cross country challenge is 3450 miles in 31 days of cycling and 2 rest days. I wanted to take on a cycling challenge rather than a cycling tour. I also wanted to see a bit more of the US, particularly the hinterland or 'fly over States', which most tourists don't get to see. I've no desire to carry my own kit, mechanical repairs aren't my strong point and I need a shower and comfy bed at the end of each day, so a fully supported trip was the only way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment