Saturday 18 April 2009

Day 0 Costa Mesa (mile - about 10)

You'll never make it to the Atlantic on that love - and you're going in the wrong direction.

So me, the bike and the rest of my stuff have arrived at the start OK. Flight over went without incident, fortunately I was checking in at the same time as a school orchestra, so a bike was kind of ordinary compared to all the tubas, double bases etc. My advice if you're choosing a musical instrument and plan to travel - go for the piccolo.

Today was spent getting the bike together, buying a new helmet (my existing one failed inspection due to the fact that it was falling apart.) Then had to Fedex my bike box (a very large suitcase) to Amesbury, where hopefully I'll meet it in 33 days time.

Met Mike, Barbara and Karen, the tour organisers. Barbara said that she'd only ever had to take one person to the hospital. Oh sorry, that was only one person to the hospital ON THE FIRST DAY. By day 2 we'll be dropping like flies. Had a two hour preparation session where Mike taught us lots rules of the road and gave us an inkling of what we can expect. Those guys really seem on top of things, feel like I'm in the best possible hands, but if I wasn't nervous before I certainly am now.

There's 9 of us going coast to coast and another 5 doing parts of the trip. Went out to dinner with several of them, they seem like a good bunch.

Up at 5 in the morning and on the road soon after 6:30, so off to bed now. Tomorrow we ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment