Sunday 26 April 2009

Day 8 Albuquerque rest day (43 miles)

So what did I do on my day off? The same thing I've done on pretty much every day off in the last 6 months - I went for a bike ride. We were told it would be a good idea to go spin our legs a bit. Also I still feel bad about the miles I missed on the way to Blythe, so I'm going to try to make them up over the course of the trip, either on one of the shorter days or on the second rest day. When I get somewhere with a decent internet connection I'll work out exactly how many I need. At the moment I'm sitting in the lobby of a neighbouring hotel because the connection in our Ramada doesn't work.

If you're planning a road trip in the States I can put the following hotel chains in descending order of preference, based on comfort, decor, internet and space. La Quinta, Best Western, Ramada, Motel 8.

After the ride did the usual things of clothes and bike washing. Then went for a massage which they'd kindly arranged for us at the local massage school. Had 30 minutes with the lovely Jennifer (who's a teacher, not a student.) Only had one massage before and that was with a masseuse from a pro cycling team, this was altogether different, more the holistic approach, including for some reason my head?! I really don't know what to make of the experience, we'll see tomorrow if it does any good.

Went back to the room and for the first time this trip watched TV. On a Sunday afternoon you can have evangelical preaching, cage fightiing or films. I went with Legally Blond, which was surprisingly good. So being pampered and then a chick flick, what a big girl.

Tomorrow is on paper just about our toughest day, 135 miles and about 8000 feet of climbing, hope I'm good and rested.

No comments:

Post a Comment