Wednesday 6 May 2009

Day 18 Saint Joseph to Kirksville (145 miles)

Oxford to Sheffield, Oxford to Exeter, our house to the centre of town 145 times. Yes they're all about 145 miles and they're all a bloody long way. Most days the trick is to divide the distance into smaller amounts, but even that was difficult today, ride 35 miles and you're still not a quarter of the way.

We agreed at breakfast that it was going to be every man for himself today. With all the rollers, there was no point in trying to form a paceline. Also some thought the best tactic was to take it easy and pace themselves in the first part. My strategy was to go at it hard from the start, get as many miles done as fast as possible so even if I faded in the afternoon there wouldn't be too far to go.

The day started with a series of rollers, just to get the lactic acid good and flowing. The first SAG was at 32 miles, outside a petrol station. Once again we saw the hospitality of small town America. They gave us free drinks and donuts. I was second to leave the SAG and was doing OK, when I got caught by the TLM express. The rollers had flattened a bit and he set a pace of about 25 mph which I could just about follow. We flew along for about 10 miles until we caught Andy, the strongest rider, then those guys worked together and again I just about hung on. By now we were getting way ahead of the other riders, so it was decided that we'd take a small detour (yes a 143 mile day is ideal for a little extra) to visit Jamestown with an excellent bakery. I'm having those two extra miles, means I'm now only 21 behind the scheduled total which I'll catch up on the second rest day. Jamestown is Armish country and the photo shows (badly) the typical horse and trap they use.

The terrain was farmland all day, it's getting more densely populated now, big farms and lush green fields. We've been dog free so far this trip, but today I got chased on three separate occasions. They don't actually come into contact with you, but it certainly gets the adrenalin going as they race towards you. You don't have to be faster than the dog, just faster than the slowest rider. Unfortunately each time I was on my own.

At lunch we got interviewed by the local paper. So if you happen to subscribe to the Trenton Bugle look out for my photo tomorrow.

After lunch we got our first proper soaking. It rained for about 45 minutes, then stopped for an hour and then another heavier downpour for about an hour. It was pinging off my sunburnt lips, which was quite painful. It was still raining hard when we reached the final SAG, a petrol station. They let us use their washroom to dry off until the rain stopped.

Leaving the last SAG I got my third puncture, in the rear wheel again of course. There's never a good time to get one, but with 111 miles down and 34 to go it was especially unpleasant. Also the vans were either still at the SAG or following the last riders, so I had to change it myself. Went on slowly for a few miles until one of the vans passed and I could get the tyre fully inflated. Found it was a piece of wire, probably from a lorry tyre.

Coming through Kirksville was a nightmare. Very busy traffic and some of it aggresive and passing too close. I don't think I got the worst of it, some riders alluded to incidents at the meeting this evening, should get the full story tomorrow. Got another flat, this time in the front, as I was pulling into the hotel. A sharp piece of stone. Managed to coast in and then change the tyre in my room.

So I've had it all today, dogs, flat tyres, aggressive drivers, but we've survived them all. Our reward is a lie in tomorrow, we load at 8am, then a short 97 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment