Monday 18 May 2009

Day 30 Batavia to Liverpool (122 miles)

So fortunately managed to get the winter stuff dried over night because it was effing freezing this morning. It was 36 degrees (F) that's only 2 degrees C. That's means we've had almost a 70 degree temperature range this trip, from 36, to 104 in the desert. Needless to say it was hat and big gloves time again.

Photo is a kind of typical shot of what it was like all day. Blue cloudless skies fortunately, which meant that whilst we were moving things were fine, but could get very cold very fast if we stopped or were out of the sun. The roads here in New York are about the best in the country, wide, smooth, clean shoulders meant that it was easy to ride in any formation (one behind the other when we're into the wind, or two or three abreast when it's from another direction.)

I know this is probably starting to sound repetative, but hey, give me a break, I've been churning this stuff out for 30 days now. Rode as a four again today at a perfect pace all day, i.e. one that we could all live with but which did get the job done. Passed the 3000 mile mark today, as of this evening there's only 350 ish to go. One thing that's continually intrigued me is what images I will remember from this trip. I see flashes of various scenery, SAG stops, hotels etc, but it's difficult to remember where it's all from. The support team continue to take lots of photos, so hopefully that will form a complete record.

We got in about 4:15 which meant it was quite a quick turn around to make the RAP meeting at 5. Like everything, there's a routine to when I get in. First it's a load of warm down stretches. I can't say whether they do any good or not, but I've been remarkably free of neck, shoulder, those kind of annoying aches and it could be down to that. Next it's drink a large recovery drink from some powder I bought with me. This has also helped mark my progress, I bought three big tubs of the stuff and am now down to the bottom of the last one. Then of course it's get in the shower. Apparently in previous years there's been complaints from hotels. When we use a face cloth to get clean it looks like we've been cleaning the bike with it. All that road muck certainly leaves it's mark.

Jack, who I've mentioned a few times, rode strongly again today, we criss crossed with him several times, then the five of us went out to dinner. You'd think that 5 or 6 eating out together would present a problem with the bill (or cheque as they say here). How to split, what to tip etc. But it seems asking for an individual bill is routine here, not a problem at all. Does it work like that in the UK, I've never tried?

The challenge of riding 120 miles does not diminish and I think everyone was tired this evening, three more days with similar distances but apparently more climbing. So many confused thoughts about the final three days, want it to end, don't want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment